Wednesday 13 July 2011

Trying too hard?

In last week's Thinking Allowed on R4 (and followed up this week), Laurie Taylor covered the subject of working from home, or 'flexible working'.

The main focus of the discussion was whether people feel over-conscientious about sending and receiving emails and phone calls, just to prove that they're actually working.

I think this arises from some scepticism among colleagues about those who are not in the office (hence the title of this blog).

I find it easy to be distracted by social networking or (if I'm desperate for a displacement activity) some housework. I assume that the temptations are the same for others, but being self-employed means that I don't have a conscience about it. Time I spend working I'm earning, time I spend when I'm distracted I'm not earning, and the mix is entirely up to me.

I regard it as being the same as clocking on for an intense 8 hours and then being clocked off for the rest of the time. It's just that the time is more mixed-up.

It's a flexibility I like. A perk of being responsible for my own income.

No comments:

Post a Comment